Wednesday, October 15, 2008

YO-MA ~Sparks In Winter~ release tour of 1st album


YO-MA is a new band from Nagoya that are signed to Ogre You Asshole's label OYA. I could try to describe their sound - or I could just call them the Arcade Fire of Japan. 'Nuff said?

I discovered this band through Ogre You Asshole's myspace site, and because mp3's were slightly impossible to get hold of, I've been listening to the three tracks they had on their myspace site all summer. I wasn't kidding when I said that they sound like Arcade Fire. At least I get the same good feeling when I listen to them as when I hear Arcade Fire's most up-beat songs. Basically it's beautiful, melodic indiepop with enthusiastic vocals, glockenspiel, piano and handclaps. It's impossible not to be happy when I hear their songs. My favorite tracks are "Rumin", "Flower King" and "宇宙環状線", but honestly, all tracks on the album are great.

YO-MA's debut album "Sparks In Winter" was released in September, and I went to see their show at Shibuya O-Nest September 20th. O-Nest is a small venue, and I love going to liveshows there. The smaller shows the better, I think, because you get to connect more with the bands.
Opening acts were Ogre You Asshole and Emperor Tomato Ketchup. Emperor Tomato Ketchup are a pretty straight-forward indie post-punk band. They were pretty good, but somehow they failed to leave a great impression on me. Maybe it was simply because the other two bands were so incredibly good in comparison?

I've seen Ogre You Asshole a couple of times before and they never disappoint me. They have a new record coming up in November "shiranai aizu shiraseru ko", and I was excited that they played a couple of their new songs. More about them later on though.

YO-MA turned out to be an amazing live band. They were five people on stage, and all of them were in good spirits. They were so energetic and enthusiastic on stage that they totally blew me away. The vocalist was jumping all over the stage. I think they played about all of the songs on the album, and maybe a couple more? "Rumin" was one of my favorites. I definitely have to see them live again.

No comments: