Wednesday, November 5, 2008

~future butterfly~ Elliott Smith tribute show

I love Elliott Smith and I had been looking forward to this concert a long time, because I also love both Shugo Tokumaru and Kicell, who were the ones playing tonight. It all went down in a small cinema in Hiroshima called Yokogawa Cinema on November 1st. There were about a hundred seats, but it quickly became packed so people were sitting in the stairs on the sides as well. Before the show started they showed pictures of Elliott on the screen and played his music which was nice, but I was more than anything looking forward to hearing the other artists play his songs. Unfortunately I realized that that wasn't going to be the case. A woman came up on stage and introduced the event, she seemed shit-nervous, and she said something about difficulty with doing covers, and sure enough they didn't play a single one. I've never been to an Elliott tribute show before, but as for those I've heard of, they only do covers. Even if it were crappy covers, I would have preferred that.


For the first half og Shugo Tokumaru's performance I was too disappointed too really pay attention to him. He didn't mention a single word about the tribute show either. As I started to accept the facts however I tried to enjoy it as a regular concert. Tokumaru had a girl with him tonight who played the harmonica and toys. Yes, she had a box with lots and lots of little toys that made funny sounds. That was pretty funny to watch. There was a chicken, that you can wind up and then it jumps forward while making this clicking sound. I have that one in the penguin version. Tokumaru said that he just came home from his US tour and that it felt like playing a live show at 7am in the morning. He played good as always though. This was his first ever gig in Hiroshima, but it was my 5th time seeing him. Again he played a variety from all albums, but in this small setting when there was only two people om stage it was a lot more intimate and nice.


Kicell are two brothers (Takefumi and Tomoharu Tsujimura) from Kyoto who play sort of folkpop-ish music, which has a really nice vibe and lovely atmosphere to it. They released a new album early this year "magic hour", and at this show they sold a new EP only called "kicell EP". The highlight of their set tonight was definitely「君の犬昆」(kimi no inu). I love that song. Acoustic and simple, and so beautiful. In the middle of the show Takefumi said that he had thought about doing an Elliott cover, but he thought that it was probably impossible, and sort of gave up. Ironically they ended their set with a cover by another artist, whose name I couldn't quite grasp. Tomoharu played on a saw though. That was cool. They were called out again by the audience for two encore's. When they came out afterwards I said that it would have been great if they did an Elliott cover, and Takefumi answered surprised "oh, you like Elliott Smith?". Yeah, that's sort of why I came in the first place...


キセル / 君の犬(LIVE)

No comments: