Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Marvins Revolt, LITE ++

February 13th, O-Nest Shibuya

At first I was mostly keen on seeing LITE live, but when I saw that they were touring with a Danish band I had to ckeck them out too. Can't say that I've heard much about Marvins Revolt before, but my interest in Scandinavian music is mostly limited to the Swedish music scene (why are they so much better than the rest of us?). Anyways, it turned out to be a good night. They were a couple of other bands on the bill as well:

deepsea drive machine. They had a pretty nice sound. Sort of epic and dynamic with lots of electro sounds. Reminded me a bit of Supercar (can't say I'm too fond of them though).

LITE. Energetic rock music, with awesome dynamics. No vocals, and I don't think they need it either. Some of the songs reminded of Battles' more guitarbased tracks. Pretty cool. The bassist was awesome. I like it when the bands make a bit more of themselves rather than just standing there. On that note...

kamomekamome. Wtf? The vocalist enters the stage covering his head and body in a huge white scarf/blanket, does some metal screams in the mic, takes it off and starts doing dance moves that sort of indicated that he might have a second job as a proffesional dancer in an entirely different genre, and then he does sign language. I'm not qualified to say whether it was real sign language or just made up, but it looked authentic enough to me. In other words this guy was not your average rock band vocalist. But by all means. The music itself wasn't that exciting, but it sure as hell wasn't boring too watch.

the Spook of the Thirteenth Lock. More and more people had gathered in front of the stage during the other bands' performance, but when the first non-japanese band went on stage everyone went hiding in the back of the room. Spook plays a mix between traditional Irish music and rock. Not really like Flogging Molly, but I couldn't help but think of them. I don't like Flogging Molly though. Anyways. Spook's intro dragged on forever. I guess having no interest in the traditional bits didn't help much. The rock parts were a bit more interesting, but in the end I didn't find their sound very appealing. I think it's one of those cases where you either love it or hate it.

However, in the two last songs, the vocalist switched out guitar for banjo, and suddenly it became a lot more fun. Unfortunately it was over by then. Kudos to the drummer for walking up to the mic trying to speak japanese that he had written on a a little note: "konbanwa. yoroshiku onegaishimasu. nihon ni kitara, sugu ni............ganbarimasu!" It was cute.

Marvins Revolt. As people were still hiding in the back the vocalist actually asked people to come closer to the stage, and it worked. They pulled off a really good show. The entire band were full of energy and the post-punk music they play is both enjoyable and danceable. Their first album "Killec" was released in Japan before Christmas. They did all eight tracks off of that one plus a new song as well, but after that it was over. "We're sorry, but we don't have any more songs." Nice one. A short set, but a good one.

No comments: