Sunday, July 26, 2009

sleepy.ab - Aquarium

Before, I didn't get the thing with this band, but I saw them live a couple of months ago, (they were playing with Karen among others) and I thought they were quite good. Still, I had not listened to them again until I stumbled over this video now. I think it's interesting how music that I did not have any interest in whatsoever before, suddenly sounds really good.

Some of the songs remind me a lot of Radiohead, others have a more post-rock style like Sigur Rós. I like the mellow, tender songs, and the vocalist's voice is beautiful. The songs might sound a bit too similar in the long run though, but I'm going to check them out more. "Aquarium" is their latest single I believe.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

They got a wide variety of stuff. I actually picked up the mp3 to the song you had in the video at HearJapan. I wish they had more but it's great stuff. What other stuff do you recommend by them?

mee said...

I'm not to familiar with this band myself, but they have a compilation album called "Archive". I suppose that wouldn't be a bad starting point. It features tracks like "melody", "merry go round", "shiki utakata" etc, which can all be heard on YouTube. I also have a feeling that their latest albums are more experimental than the first ones, and I prefer that soundscape. Personally I think I'd start with one of the latter albums, then work my way backwards. Hope that was of any help.