Monday, December 15, 2008

曽我部恵一BAND「カントー的!」

nov 21st, Chiba Look
nov 30th, Shibuya Quattro

Because the last sokabe keiichi band gig was so fun I decided to see them twice on their Kanto tour. First at the local club (well 30min away by train, but at least a lot closer than Tokyo) in Chiba, and later the tour final in Shibuya.

[pic from http://d.hatena.ne.jp/live-sokabe/20081121)

「ヤバイヤバイヤバイ!」


sokabe was really impressed by the crowd in Chiba. Basically because everyone was crazy and so much into it. It was sokabe keiichi band's first time in Chiba, so that explains a lot. Although I don't really see that people in Chiba would have much trouble going to Tokyo. Nonetheless it was fun to be at a gig where everyone were so excited. Sokabe also said that he wanted to live in Chiba. Ahahaha. haha....ha..(why would anyone live here rather than Tokyo?)

I've never been to Look before, and it turned out to be a tiny club with a capacity of maybe no more than 200 people. The "bar" was really just the other end of the merch table, and instead of lockers they had a shelf where everyone would put their stuff. I love small venues, so this place was pretty sweet. The only bad thing was the washiki ie a Japanese toilet ie a toilet in the floor. I really hate those things.

Anyways, the gig was so much fun. The entire band really give it all, and they're always in a good mood. Happy and so energetic. They're btw also one of the few Japanese bands I've seen who drink alcohol (beer) on stage. I guess most japanese people would get drunk in an instant and be unable to play, hehe.

They played a long set, 24 songs. The entire setlist and more pics can be seen at their live blog: http://d.hatena.ne.jp/live-sokabe/20081121
They played four new songs, all which where pretty good. Tomo, the guitarist, has written and sings on one of the new songs as he does on 「海の向こうで」 (umi no mukou de). If I'm not mistaken they're currently recording new songs. At least a new single will be released in February.

They played a few Sunny Day Service songs to, and I was really glad that they played「恋におちたら」(koi ni ochitara). Before "Telephone Love" sokabe told this long story about falling in love and eating peanuts. Apparently Chiba is famous for peanuts. I've never seen any Chiba-peanuts though... After "mellow mind" everyone thought that the gig was over, but suddenly the band came back out and did another song! I like to believe that it was because they thought the crowd in Chiba were awesome.

They had new t-shirts this time with artwork from the tour flyer. It's cute. I got a purple one. And after deliberating over it a long time I bought a sokabe keiichi rendevouz band vinyl. The reason I was hesitating a bit is because my record player is in Norway, so I won't be able to listen to it here in Japan. That, and the fact that I'm always incredibly slow at making up my mind. By the time I'd finally bought the thing though, the entire band had come out and were packing their gear on the stage. I got sokabe to sign my vinyl.

(pic from http://d.hatena.ne.jp/live-sokabe/20081130)

The gig in Shibuya was more or less the same, but I
mean it in the sense that it was great too. In the beginning I was standing in the front, but people were pushing so much that it became so uncomfortable that I moved further to the back. The stage was bigger this time though so I had a perfect view. They played a couple of other new songs. Sokabe failed a bit at the story before "Telephone Love" this time. I think he was running out of ideas, but it was still funny. Setlist and pics in sokabe keiichi's live blog here:
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/live-sokabe/20081130


Sokabe keiichi is currently doing a solo acoustic tour around the country. The show in Chiba was unfortunately sold out under less than two hours(!). I'd love to see him solo sometime. Apparently he's playing 「あじさい」(ajisai, another Sunny Day Service song). Would've been great to hear live.

No comments: