Wednesday, December 17, 2008

"PR vol. 3" group_inou oneman!

Dec. 7th, Daikanyama UNIT

This day started out with nothing less than the Japanese Language Proficiency Test Level 2. I think it went okay, but I was pretty tired afterwards. It was more tempting to go home and get some sleep than going to a concert. A Quarter Ponder and a coffe cup later though, I was good to go.

I had been worried about the number system for this gig, because mine was G-71. Usually when they have letters before the ticket number it means that A 1~100 goes first then B 1~100 etc. Luckily that wasn't the case this time. Actually G-tickets were the first to be let in! I'm guessing they just put the G there for group_inou. At the door I got a nice sticker too. They had new t-shirts with the egg from the flyer. Limited to a 100 shirts, each one numbered bla bla bla. To me it was just an egg. I can however imagine how comic it would be if two people with the other group_inou tees were standing on each side of an egg shirt. Breakfast, yum.

Special guest was Matsu & Take. In spite of the name it was only one guy. He played this cool electronica that, if played at a club, I would be dancing. In this setting however, it became a bit onesided and for some reason (JLPT) I became incredibly tired and sleepy during his set.

group_inou are like the nerdy guys at school who didn't have any friends, but who stayed at home making music in their bedroom. And now even though their first album has sold lots of copies and their fan base has grown, they're still the nerdy guys. Imai commented at the beginning of the show that they had gone to a kombini as people were being let in, but even though they walked past the entire queue no one noticed them. Also, this event wasn't supposed to be a oneman, but they didn't have any friends that would play with them. Imai told this story about how he went all alone to Kyoto because he didn't have any friends, and there he met Matsu & Take, which became his only friend, and thus the only guest tonight. Hilarious. I didn't mind it being a oneman though as it meant that I could watch the entire show and still take the last train home.

The bands usually play longer sets as well at onemans. That wasn't the case with group_inou though. After 6-7 tracks, imai announces that they only have three songs left! I guess the main reason is that CP becomes incredibly tired when he's performing. The guy's literally ghasping for air between the songs. No wonder when he's as active as he is on stage, but I'd rather see him pace it down a bit and do a longer set. Or maybe not. It's too fun to watch him dance and walk in circles on stage.

They did play many of their best songs though, including "Coming Out", "Ship", "PR", "Maybe". People are always going crazy on the last one. When I think about it they were going crazy from the very beginning this time. I think it's uncomfortable when you can't move freely because people are pushing so much. Before I used to bear up with it, but I think I'e been to so many concerts now that I don't think it's worth it. Another thing I've noticed at japanese gigs is that people in the first 5 rows or something, sway simultanously from side to side. Like you would when the sing-a-long pop-ballad comes on and everyone grabs their lighter and throw their arms up in the air. It's strange to see that at a hiphop/electro gig.

Before a new track Imai announced that this song had the worst lyrics in the world. I think CP writes all of them though. "Nude" was also introduced as a song with crap lyrics. Hmm..「NUDEに持っていくMOOD」

They had a really impressive stage show. A screen in the background showing these crazy videoes (provided by VJ Heart Bomb) and laser lights (by Yama-Chang). Yep, you read right, lasers. If I didn't know these guys beforehand I'd say it was some kind of trance/rave party going on. Just to top it off they also had a neon sign at the side of stage (the one in the pic above). More eggs.

The only bad part about the show was the sound. It was actually kind of terrible. Good sound is usually kind of crucial, but I guess the lasers made up for it...

For the encore they did the 'System Kitchen' (remixes of 'Foods' their 1st EP) version of "Status" together with Matsu & Take. Best part of the the entire show.

No comments: